With the holiday season just around the corner, it is time to start planning ahead for delicious family feasts. I don’t know about your house, but in mine, the holidays are a time to get together with aunts, uncles and cousins we don’t see as often as we should. To share lots of laughs, catch up on life and of course enjoy some great food. Fall’s quintessential fruit is, of course, the apple. And while people think of apple pie or maybe even apple crisp as your go-to recipes for fall, may I suggest giving Baked Brie with Maple-Bacon Apples as an for your gathering? This easy appetizer recipe can be made up in advance so then you just heat and serve.
Did I mention that this recipe has apples, cheese, bacon and maple syrup? It’s a winning combination, and it tastes divine. Now if you are like me and have no time to head to the orchard to pick your own apples, don’t fret. Your local Walmart store has everything you need to make this delicious appetizer, plus you will be able to get everything else you need for entertaining all in one trip.
With only four ingredients, you will be whipping up this Baked Brie with Maple-Bacon Apples in no time at all. Plus we all know that bacon makes everything better. And you decide what to serve it with: crackers, baguette and pita bread would all work nicely with this warm appetizer.
Baked Brie with Maple-Bacon Apples Recipe
Easy Appetizer Recipe – Baked Brie with Maple-Bacon Apples
- 1 apple
- 2 slices of thick cut bacon
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup divided
- 1 350 g wheel of brie
- Slice bacon into ½ inch pieces and cook in a frying pan over medium heat until crisp. Then remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Do not discard frying pan.
- While bacon is cooking, core unpeeled apple and slice into thin slices
- Keeping approximately half the bacon fat in the frying pan, reduce heat to medium-low and add apples. Cook stirring often for 6-10 minutes until apples are very soft.
- Add bacon and 1 Tbsp of maple syrup to apples and stir
- Preheat oven to 350oF, and line a dish with parchment paper or foil.
- Place brie in dish and use a skewer or fork to poke holes all over the top of the brie
- Spoon the apple mixture over the top and bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is very soft.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with remaining syrup and serve with crackers or bread.
If you are not worried about making a nut-free appetizer, add in a couple of tablespoons of chopped pecans. They pair perfectly with the apples, maple syrup and bacon. Alternatively, you can garnish with some diced chives from your garden for a more savoury taste.
This fall, share your love of food and follow @WalmartCanada on Twitter to join in the #DiscoverFreshContest to participate in fresh food challenges for your chance to win a $200 gift card.
Don’t look now, but there are some really awesome photos of baking over on Twitter at the #DiscoverFreshContest hashtag!
The Baked Brie with Maple-Bacon Apples will be a hit at all of your gatherings this fall. And you will love it because it is an easy appetizer recipe that tastes amazing but does not take long to make.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Walmart Canada, as part of the Fresh #DiscoverFresh program. In exchange for this review, I have received special perks in the form of products and/or compensation. All opinions on this blog are my own.