Fitting protein into my diet is no easy task. While I love meat, I tend to only eat it at dinner so fitting in protein at breakfast and lunch as been a challenge. In trying to build more muscle I know I need to up my protein intake. But what do you do when you only like meat in small portions, and eggs are… blah. I thought eating eggs as trying to up my protein intake would mean omelettes and scrambled eggs neither of which I love. I.Was.Wrong. Let me introduce you to a healthy breakfast idea that is high in protein, gluten-free and absolutely delicious! Protein Crepes!
This blog post may contain affiliate links. What does that mean? I get a little commission if you purchase using my link, at no extra cost to you.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas High in Protein and Gluten-Free
Yep this delicious Crepe is packed full of protein using 1 whole egg and egg whites. And it is gluten-free made with Oats, not flour. Plus you can top these Protein Crepes with your favourite fruit. In my case I used blueberries I simmered with a little bit of water and cinnamon to make a flavourful fruity topping to go with them.
Protein Crepes Recipe
Want to try these protein crepes for yourself – well you only need 5 ingredients. They only take a few minutes to prepare so you can be enjoying this healthy breakfast in no time. Enjoying these tasty Protein Crepes will make the switch to a healthy breakfast option a breeze. Eating well does not mean you need to compromise on taste!
The key to getting a a protein crepe with a good texture is to grind up the Oats into a flour like consistency. I use my Magic Bullet Blender but any personal blender should do the trick.
Healthy Protein Crepes
- 10 tbsp egg whites
- 1 Whole Egg
- 50 g Oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon divided
- 50 g Blueberries
- In a blender grind oats into a flour
- Add in egg, egg whites and a pinch of cinnamon. Blend until well combined
- In a small pot add blueberries 3 tbsp of water, and a pinch of cinnamon. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally while you cook the crepes
- Over medium heat add enough batter to cover the bottom of your non-stick frying pan. For a small pan this is about 1/4 of the mixture. Tilt the pan side to side to move the batter to coat the pan if required.
- Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, and then flip and cook the other side for approximately 2 minutes
- Repeat cooking crepes until the batter is gone.
- Serve warm topped with blueberry mixture. Enjoy!
Healthy Breakfast without Missing Out On your Favourite Foods
You can adapt this recipe to top with bananas, strawberries or any other fruit that you love. Make sure that when you are cooking the protein crepes you are only coating the plan with a thin layer of the batter. Otherwise you will end up with more of a protein pancake rather then a crepe.
You can double this recipe ans store your crepes in the fridge for a quick breakfast. Just microwave for 30 seconds or until heated through. Eating well does not have to take a lot of time and with a recipe like this you are not compromising on flavour! Looking for more breakfast recipe ideas? Pop over to check out the tasty Apple Banana Carrot Muffins!
Other fun Breakfast ideas:
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole by Mom vs the Boys
Cornmeal Waffles by Mama Bear’s Haven
Almond Overnight Oats by Fabulous Habits