The count down is on to back to school, only a few precious weeks to enjoy summer before the hectic pace of the school year sets in. While this will be my first official year as a “back to school mom”, as a work out of the home mom I know all about the evening rush to get home, everyone fed and maybe even squeeze in a swimming lesson before bedtime. Having a cache of quick and easy meals is my saving grace when it comes to dinner time. Walking through the door at night I have 2 hungry boys on my hands who want to eat right now. There is no time for fancy prep or long cooking times, I have at best 20 minutes to get dinner on the table before the meltdowns start. Here is another quick and easy meal idea that the whole family can enjoy – Ham & Potato Skillet
Ham & Potato Skillet Recipe
- 1.5 cups Maple Leaf Black Forest Ham diced
- 6 Potatoes
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 341 mL Can of Corn drained
- 1/2 cup Cheese I prefer Old Cheddar, grated
- Pepper to taste
- Wash and pierce potatoes. Cook in the microwave until almost done (takes approximately 10-12 minutes but will vary depending on microwave and size of potatoes). Alternatively dice the raw potatoes and cook with 1 tbsp of oil in the skillet stirring frequently for 20 minutes until almost tender.
- In the meantime dice ham and Onion into large chunks and place in skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once potatoes are almost cooked through, carefully dice them into chunks (they will be hot!) and add to skillet.
- Add corn to skillet cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes until everything is heated through and potatoes are finished cooking
- Top with grated cheese, and enjoy!
Looking for more quick and easy meals make sure check out the many ideas on the Appehite website. You can also find more information about Maple Leaf products on their website and follow them on twitter for more delicious inspiration.
What are your favourite quick and easy meals for weeknights?
Disclosure: This post was brought to you by Maple Leaf Foods. All opinions are strictly my own.