Asian Inspired Shepherd’s Pie Recipe With Ground Beef
When browsing the VH Sauces website I was intrigued by the Asian 5 Spice Shepherd’s Pie. We make Shepherd’s Pie in our house fairly often as it is a hearty and filling meal, that tastes as good the next day as it does fresh out of the oven. This comfort food recipe included one of the VH Asian Inspired Sauces – Asian 5 Spice Stir Fry Sauce, and I put it to the test against Hubby’s “I don’t like change” taste buds.
This blog post may contain affiliate links. What does that mean? I get a little commission if you purchase using my link, at no extra cost to you.
While it might seem odd to venture out from the classic shepherd’s pie recipe, there are lots of different shepherds pie recipes out there to try. Don’t get stuck on just one. If you have ever heard someone talking about a cottage pie recipe, they are likely referring to shepherd pie.
Homemade Shepherd’s Pie Recipe With Ground Beef
Asian Inspired Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 2.5 lb ground beef
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp VH® Soya Sauce
- 1 bottle (355mL) VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can Peas drained
- 1 can Corn drained
- 2 1/2 lb potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- In a large frying pan cook oil, onions and celery over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add in ground beef, cook until fully browned.
- In the meantime, place potatoes in a large pot of boiling water. Boil until cooked through, and then drain. Add in butter and milk, mash.
- Once meat is browned, drain any excess fat. Add flour, stir until well mixed. Add Soya Sauce, VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce, Tomato Sauce and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, partially covered, until slightly thickened.
- Spray 9"x13" baking dish with oil. Spread meat mixture in dish. Layer with peas and corn. Top evenly with mashed potatoes.
- Bake covered with foil at 350°F oven until heated through and bubbling around edges, about 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for an additional 5-10 mins to brown the top if desired.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Ingredients needed to make homemade Shepard’s Pie with a twist. You probably have most of these in your fridge or freeze already. We buy the family packs of ground beef when they go on sale and then freeze them to take them out when we need them. It helps with keeping our grocery budget in line, and we always have something in the freezer to pull out to cook.
Variations of Shepherd’s Pie
You could also use sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes if you prefer. There are so many different variations of Shepherd’s Pie you can adjust this recipe to fit your preferences and diet. Want a lower calorie option? Use ground chicken instead of ground turkey, or a mix of both if you don’t want only ground turkey. This is an easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe that you can adapt to include veggies that your family loves. If you kids are crazy for carrots added a peas/carrots mix or chop up cooked carrots to add to the middle layer.