Nothing is better at warming me up in the winter then soup. As much as I try to embrace the Canadian winter I freeze for 4 months of the year. To date my soup making ability has been limited to pumpkin soup, however I decided to branch out this year and give squash soup a try. For this soup you can use Butternut or Acorn squash to make a heart warming soup that will help keep you warm all winter long. Have fun making this Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with Apples!
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with Apples
This blog post may contain affiliate links. What does that mean? I get a little commission if you purchase using my link, at no extra cost to you.
Squash Apple Soup Recipe
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Celery ribs chopped
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Squash peeled and chopped, Butternut or Acorn Squash works great
- 2 Apples peeled, and chopped
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Pinch each of nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper
- Sour Cream optional
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat. Add in onion and celery, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, apple, carrots and broth. Bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or so, until the squash and carrots are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a standard blender and puree in batches and transfer back to pot.
- Add pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in milk and cook over medium heat until warmed.
- Top with a spoonful of sour cream and enjoy!
The Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with Apples is naturally sweetened with the flavours from the squash and apples. If peeling and cutting the squash is too difficult an alternative is to Roast the squash in the oven until cooked through. Then scoop out of the peel and add to the soup mixture just before you blend it all together. You can store the Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with Apples in the fridge for up to a week and it reheats well and tastes just as good (or better). It also freezes well for a quick freezer meal.
To puree the soup I LOVE my immersion blender. It makes it so quick to get a creamy and smooth soup. If you don’t have an immersion blender I have a few suggestions below. Alternatively you can transfer the soup mixture to a traditional blender and blend in batches. No matter how you do it you are going to end up with delicious Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with Apples.
Soups are also a great way to introduce kids to different vegetables. If they are wary of trying roasted or baked squash give a soup a try to see if they like it in that form first. Sometimes all it takes is a good bowl of soup for them to fall in love.
The apples and squash are readily available all winter long and are a perfect pairing. Enjoy a bowl of the Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with Apples with an Italian bun or a small side salad for a tasty lunch today.
More Soup Recipes
Originally posted Nov 2014